Mesothelioma Compensation Scheme Increase.
Mesothelioma compensation will increase slightly in April for those who claim under a Government Scheme.
The cancer, Mesothelioma, is caused by exposure to asbestos. It is incurable and usually causes death within 12-18 months.
The Mesothelioma Compensation Scheme
The Diffuse Mesothelioma Scheme 2008 will see payments increased by 1% in April. It is the first increase since 2014. The increase is in line with the Consumer Price Index.
The Scheme is there to pay sums for victims who
- Are unable to make a claim under the 1979 Pneumoconiosis Act (because they did not work in asbestos)
- Have not received payment in respect of the disease from an employer, a civil claim or elsewhere or
- Are not entitled to compensation from any Ministry of Defence scheme.
The Scheme provides payments to people exposed to asbestos in the United Kingdom but not as a result of their work as an employee. For example:
- If they came into contact with asbestos from a relative – for example by washing their clothes
- They were exposed to asbestos in the environment – for example living near factories making asbestos
- The exposure to asbestos was whilst self-employed
- The exposure cannot be specified but occurred in the UK.
Currently a 55 year old would get £57,179 under the scheme. A person aged 77 or over would get £13,455.
Corries Director and Asbestos Team Manager Howard Bonnett commented
“Any increase in compensation for mesothelioma victims is welcome. However the 2008 Scheme lags massively behind the Pneumoconiosis scheme, 2014 Scheme and common-law claims.
Over 2600 people a year are diagnosed with mesothelioma. Many of those have to fall back on this scheme even though they suffer the same pain and anguish.
I would encourage the government to give this some careful thought. The increase of 1% will not make a great deal of difference to those affected by this awful disease. An increase to mirror the other schemes really would”
Follow this link for more information on the scheme. – https://www.gov.uk/diffuse-mesothelioma-payment/what-youll-get
If you have been affected by asbestos disease then ring our expert team on 0800 083 7839