What is the pay-out for an asbestos claim?
This is a question that understandably many people ask. Every case is individual the amount will vary depending on a number of factors such as :
- Whether earnings are lost as a result
- The amount of care and assistance required.
- Medical expenses and travelling expenses
- The severity of the individual illness.
- Whether there are any dependants or family living with the deceased.
There are many factors like the above that will increase the final payout. The following is only a guide as to what you might receive for the asbestos claim. It does not consider such factors as loss of earnings or dependants which will increase the award.
- Mesothelioma – a basic award for pain and suffering would be around £90,000 plus however we have settled cases where we have recovered much more
- Asbestos-related Lung Cancer – Symptoms not generally as painful as mesothelioma up to around £60-90,000, without adding other factors.
- Asbestosis – Disability, shortness of breath, prolonged coughing, sleep disturbance, restriction of mobility. The top-level award will be for victims where the disease is progressive, showing a significant impact on quality of life, up to around £95,000
- Pleural Thickening – Where breathlessness, frequent use of an inhaler, unable to tolerate smoky environment up to £35,000
- Mesothelioma Scheme Payment – £144,000 (any claimant diagnosed with mesothelioma who cannot sue their former employers because they have gone bust and their employer’s insurance company cannot be traced may be able to obtain compensation from the Government).
Again, it’s important to understand that these figures do not apply to your specific case or anyone else’s. These figures should simply be used as a guideline to better understand the amount of money a person can receive for the medical conditions mentioned above. The figures may be reduced if we are not able to trace companies or insurers for the full period in cases not involving mesothelioma. In such cases a percentage of the claim is recovered.
Home Visits | No Win - No Fee
"You Can Count On Corries"
Yorks Leading Personal Injury Lawyers
Helping the people of York and surrounding areas for over 25 years.
Over £300 Million Recovered In Compensation
£28,000 - Asbestos Claim
Gloria Langton, Thirsk.
“I don’t think I could have coped without you and your professionalism especially on the day of the final inquest which was particularly harrowing for me. Your kindness and patience towards my father, whilst he was ill, was also very much appreciated. I have and will continue to recommend you to friends, colleagues and family for your services."
£11,240 - Road Accident Claim
Mr Cawthon, Copmanthorpe.
“I thank you most sincerely for all the effort you put in on my behalf. I hope your employers are proud of the fact you work so efficiently and to such high standards.”
£19,000 - Pension Claim
“I am very happy that this claim is now finally settled and thank you so much for the service you provided. It was exemplary. And you have been most patient with my numerous phone calls.”
£130,000 - Asbestos Claim
June Abbott, York.
“Thank you for handling Peters claim and getting settlement.”
£19,000 - Work Accident Claim
Kevin Ashton, Huntington.
“Thank you for the cheque for £19,000 in settlement of my claim. Fingers crossed there will not be any further accidents; however I would like to thank you for the professional manner in which you dealt with my accident claim. The most important part of a solicitor's job is communication and I must thank you for the way you kept me updated on what was going on.”
Industrial Disease Claim
“Just to update you. The cheque has arrived. Many thanks for all the hard work you put in to bring things to a positive conclusion. It was refreshingly straight forward and easy to work with you during a challenging time for us all. Thanks for your empathy, help and support.”
Sue & Roy.
"I have to say the service provided by you was excellent, being able to keep in contact and have that professional support is not something we often see and from my experience not a service provided by all solicitors. The last 12 months have been difficult but having your support has made the journey easier. Please pass on our thanks to Howard."
Road Accident Claim
Lori & James.
"Thanks to you and your staff for all your work and time you have given our case. Thank you for your service and I would recommend your company to anyone who asked."
"Thanks again for all your efforts and I am sure you will realise from my reaction how happy my family are with this fantastic outcome. Your service has been fantastic from start to finish"
Stay up to date
Join Our Newsletter
Corries Solicitors Ltd, Melroses Yard, Walmgate, York, YO1 9XF. Registered number: 5517012. Corries Solicitors Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under number: 424101.