How do I claim for Building Site Accident ?
Building sites are amongst the most dangerous working environments in the UK.
If you have had an accident on a building site within the last three years you may be able to make a claim, to compensate you for your injuries and loss of earnings.
Our friendly experts are here to help you through the claims process.
For a free consultation call Corries Solicitors at 01904 527430 or contact us online
What type of construction accident can I make a claim for?
We may be able to help you to make a claim for the following types of accidents:
- Falls from height
- Scaffolding accidents
- Forklift truck accidents
- Slips, trips and falls
- Faulty equipment – i.e. faulty scaffolding, ladders, safety harnesses or machinery.
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals or substances
- Vehicle collisions.
- Burns, scars and lacerations.
What health and safety regulations should be in place?
The HSE (Health and Safety Executive) has ruled that the construction industry must adhere to various regulations. Whilst working on a construction site your employer has the legal duty to protect you.
You must be supplied with :
- A hard hat
- Hearing protection
- Footwear – such as steel-capped boots
- High visibility clothing
The following regulations should be followed :
- Health and Safety at Work Act 1974: This sets out a wide range of duties that employers must meet to ensure the health, safety and welfare of employees, clients, contractors and visitors to the premises of the business.
- Work at Height regulations 2005: This is in place to help prevent injuries and deaths caused by falls from height. Employers have the responsibility to make sure that work from height is carried out by trained professionals, and is planned and supervised at all times.
- Provision and Use of Work Regulations (PUWER) 1998: This relates to equipment used in the workplace. The regulations state that equipment must be suitable for the intended use, maintained to a good standard and should only be used by people who have been trained to use it properly.
- Lifting Operating and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) 1998: This places the onus of responsibility on employers who operate lifting equipment. The regulations state that lifting operations should be properly planned, and supervised and that equipment must be fit for purpose.
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) 2002: This advises employers on ways to help minimise the impact of chemicals, vapours, fumes and gases on the health and safety of their employees.
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015: This focuses on coordinating and planning work in order to reduce potential risks.
Who is eligible to make a construction accident claim?
You can make a claim for an accident on a building site if you are an employee, a contractor or a member of the public or other visitor.
Self-employed contractors can still be considered employees, and therefore are covered by the same health and safety regulations as other staff members.
Agency workers who have been injured at work are eligible to make a claim.
How do I prove that my employer was responsible?
Evidence that can be used to help prove this can include:
- Witness reports from the scene of the accident.
- The report is in the accident book.
- Photos from the scene of the accident.
- Photos of Injuries
- Reports from health and safety experts.
How much will my construction injury claim be worth?
Claims are however calculated based on a number of different factors including:
- The seriousness of the injuries.
- The loss of earnings.
- The ability to work in the same job in the future.
Is there a time limit to making a claim?
You need to make your claim within three years from the date of the building site accident.
How can I make a building site accident claim?
Corries Solicitors handle building site accidents on a No Win, No Fee basis, meaning that you do not pay anything if your claim is unsuccessful. Our friendly experts are here to help you through the claims process. For a free consultation call Corries Solicitors at 01904 527430 or contact us online
Home Visits | No Win - No Fee
"You Can Count On Corries"
Yorks Leading Personal Injury Lawyers
Helping the people of York and surrounding areas for over 25 years.
Over £300 Million Recovered In Compensation
£28,000 - Asbestos Claim
Gloria Langton, Thirsk.
“I don’t think I could have coped without you and your professionalism especially on the day of the final inquest which was particularly harrowing for me. Your kindness and patience towards my father, whilst he was ill, was also very much appreciated. I have and will continue to recommend you to friends, colleagues and family for your services."
£11,240 - Road Accident Claim
Mr Cawthon, Copmanthorpe.
“I thank you most sincerely for all the effort you put in on my behalf. I hope your employers are proud of the fact you work so efficiently and to such high standards.”
£19,000 - Pension Claim
“I am very happy that this claim is now finally settled and thank you so much for the service you provided. It was exemplary. And you have been most patient with my numerous phone calls.”
£130,000 - Asbestos Claim
June Abbott, York.
“Thank you for handling Peters claim and getting settlement.”
£19,000 - Work Accident Claim
Kevin Ashton, Huntington.
“Thank you for the cheque for £19,000 in settlement of my claim. Fingers crossed there will not be any further accidents; however I would like to thank you for the professional manner in which you dealt with my accident claim. The most important part of a solicitor's job is communication and I must thank you for the way you kept me updated on what was going on.”
Industrial Disease Claim
“Just to update you. The cheque has arrived. Many thanks for all the hard work you put in to bring things to a positive conclusion. It was refreshingly straight forward and easy to work with you during a challenging time for us all. Thanks for your empathy, help and support.”
Sue & Roy.
"I have to say the service provided by you was excellent, being able to keep in contact and have that professional support is not something we often see and from my experience not a service provided by all solicitors. The last 12 months have been difficult but having your support has made the journey easier. Please pass on our thanks to Howard."
Road Accident Claim
Lori & James.
"Thanks to you and your staff for all your work and time you have given our case. Thank you for your service and I would recommend your company to anyone who asked."
"Thanks again for all your efforts and I am sure you will realise from my reaction how happy my family are with this fantastic outcome. Your service has been fantastic from start to finish"
Stay up to date
Join Our Newsletter
Corries Solicitors Ltd, Melroses Yard, Walmgate, York, YO1 9XF. Registered number: 5517012. Corries Solicitors Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under number: 424101.